- 2 brinjals large, seedless, healthy
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Garlic grated
- 1 tsp. Ginger grated
- 2 red chillies dried crushed
- 1 tsp. Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp. Dhania powder
- ½ tsp. Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon-clove powder (refer)
- ½ tsp. safeti garam masala powder (refer)
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp. Lemon juice
- 2 tsp. Ghee
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- Hold the brinjals with stems over fire, to burn skin.
(Or run a few drops of oil, microwave in a loose-lid bowl for 3 minutes).
- When skin blackens, hold under running water.
- Skin will not blacken if microwaved. Therefore peel.
- ently scrub off skin. Mash brinjals to a puree.
- Heat oil in a heavy kadai. Add ginger garlic and stirfry for a minute.
- Add onions, all dry masalas, except red chilli powder, stiry for a minute more. Add tomatoes, brinjals, salt, lemon juice and stir.
- Simmer for five minutes. Take in serving bowl.
- Just before serving, heat ghee in a small pan.
- Hold pan over bowl, add chilli powder, and pour immediately over bhartha.
- Do not allow the chilli powder to burn.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with tandoori roti, paratha, etc.