- Soya beans One cup
- Chana dal (pulses) 1 1/2 cups
- Onions(finely chopped) Six
- Ginger (grated) A pinch
- Green chillies (finely chopped) Three
- Curry leaves Half a cup
- Cumin seeds Three tbsp
- Salt To taste
- Garlic flakes (opt.) A tsp
- Cooking oil Half kg
- Soak soya beans in water overnight and drain next morning. Soak
- chana dal for two hours and drain. Remove two to three tbsp of this soaked chana dal and keep aside.
- Grind remaining dal and all the soya beans to a coarse paste and add to this the onions, green chillies, cumin seeds, curry leaves, grated ginger, the unground dal and salt (and garlic flakes) and mix well.
- Heat oil. Pat batter mixture into Wada (donut) shapes and deep fry till golden brown.
Cooking tip: If the batter has become a too watery to be patted into Wadas, add some rice flour to tighten it. Serve with green or coconut chutney, tomato ketchup or curd-based dip.
Cooking time: 30 minutes minus soaking time for beans and dal Serves: Five