1 cup - long grained rice
1 cup - matar (green peas)
1 cup - mushrooms (sliced)
1 - tomato
(or two tablespoons - tomato puree)
2 - cloves
1/2" piece - cinnamon
(or pinch of cinnamon powder)
2 - green cardamoms
1 - bay leaf
1 teaspoon - garam masala
1 teaspoon - cumin (jeera) powder
2 tablespoons - oil
salt to taste
1. Clean and wash the rice.
2. Soak in warm water for about 10 minutes.
3. Drain and keep aside.
4. Chop the tomato and wash the peas. Keep aside.
5. Combine the oil, chopped tomato, cloves, cinnamon, cardamoms and bay leaf in a glass bowl.
6. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
7. Add the mushrooms and peas and microwave on high for 1 more minute.
8. Add the rice, mix well and microwave on high for 1 minute.
9. Add 2 cups of hot water to the rice mixture with salt and mix well.
10. Microwave on high for 10 minutes, stirring twice in between after every 4 minutes.
11. Serve hot with raita or curd.