|Subscribe to our Free E-Magazine on Indian Food.|
|Home > Indian Recipes > Rajasthani > Dal Bati Churma
|Dal Bati Churma
Dal Bati (Puffed dough dumplings with lentil curry )
- 2 cups rajma beans (soaked in water overnight with a pinch of soda bicarb)
- 3/4 cup whole black gram (urad) (soaked in water overnight with a pinch of soda bicarb)
- 3 onions, chopped finely.
- 2 tomatoes, chopped finely.
- 2 tsps garam masala powder.
- 2 tsps chilli powder.
- 1 tsp turmeric powder.
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste.
- 2 green chillies, slit lengthwise.
- 2 tbsps cream
- 4 tbsps ghee.
- 1 cup coriander leaves, chopped finely.
- Salt to taste.
- 5 cups whole wheat flour, sieved.
- 1 cup ghee, melted.
- 2 tbsps curd.
- Salt to taste.
- Pressure cook rajma and black gram till it becomes soft.
- Heat 4 tbsps oil.
- Add onions. Brown them.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and tomatoes. Fry.
- Add all the masalas, beans and salt. Simmer till well blended. The gravy should be thick.
- Pour over cream and ghee. Knead a soft dough with flour, ghee, curd, salt and just enough water.
- Roll into lemon-sized balls.
- Cover and keep for one hour.
- Then roast in batches on hot coals till puffed and golden outside and spongy inside. Keep hot.
- Garnish the dal with coriander leaves and slit green chillies. Dip hot dumplings in the dal while eating.
- Wheat flour 200 gm
- Ghee 400 gm
- Khoya / Mawa 100 gm
- Sugar (grounded) 200 gm
- Soaked almond (finely chopped) 50 gm
- Cardamom (small) 4
- Dalchini 1"
- Melt 150 gms. Of ghee and mix it in wheat flour.
- Make a stiff dough using very little water.
- Heat the rest of the ghee in a kadahi.
- Make about 15-20 balls with the dough. Fry it on low flame till it becomes golden brown.
- Churn it in grinder after it cools down. Mix khoya.
- Heat 1 tbsp. Ghee in kadahi.
- Add cardamom seeds and dalchini.
- Add the above mixture of wheat flour and khoya. Fry it for one minute. When it cools down,
- Add sugar and chopped almonds. Mix well.
- Serve in a plate. You can enjoy the taste of churma for 8-10 days if you keep it in an airtight box.