- 450 gm basmati rice, washed and soaked for half an hour
- 250 gm prawns, shelled
- 4 green chillies
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 small pieces cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 green cardamoms
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 onion, sliced
- A handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- A handful of mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Grind the following into a fine paste: onion, mint, poppy seeds, green chillies and turmeric.
- Apply the ginger-garlic paste and masala paste to the prawns and set aside, and add the prawns and fry till the oil separates.
- Now add the rice and fry a little. Put in warm water, salt and garam masala.
- Cook till rice is tender and keep over low heat till the water dries. Serve hot sprinkled with chopped coriander leaves.