- 1 carrot, peeled and julienne
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 green chili (chili pepper), minced
- 1 small bunch of cilantro, coriander leaves minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon/lime juice
For Salad Dressing
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon black gram dal (washed urad dal), picked over and rinsed
- 1 red chili (chili pepper), halved
- 1/2 teaspoon asafetida powder
- a few curry leaves (optional)
- Add the carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, green chilly, cilantro, pepper and lemon juice in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a heavy pan or skillet. Add the mustard seeds, black gram dal, halved red chili, asafetida, and a few curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add this mixture to the vegetables. Now add the lemon juice, and mix thoroughly.
- Serve at room temperature.